Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Gianni and Gianfranco

    Milan Fashion Week is going to be wrapping up in a few days – time flies when you’re having fun! Two of my favorite designers growing up were Gianfranco Ferre and Gianni Versace. I can still picture Linda and Christie looking amazing in both of these men’s sexy dresses and leather… lots of leather.

    Versace: My personal archives.  I wasn't smart enough years ago to save the date and name of the publication, so my best guess would be this is from 1988/89 -- but this looks so current!!

    Maybe I’m a little dramatic, but I can remember exactly where I was when Gianni Versace was shot in 1997 and then 10 years later when I heard the news of Gianfranco’s passing. I suppose they were my “JFK’s.” Both times I was at work (different companies!) and both times I cried at my desk. What can I say? I’m a softie!

    Ferre: From my personal archives.  Vogue magazine, August 1990.  Timeless, classic.  I would wear this now!

    I was lucky enough to see Versace speak at FIT when I was a student. He was completely endearing, genuine, passionate and encouraging. I left Katie Murphy Amphitheatre that day feeling inspired… the world was my oyster! When Gianni was killed several years later, I was crushed. Versace was very print driven back in the day and the label has certainly gone through some transitions during the last decade or so, but it’s still going strong. Sister Donatella had the extremely challenging role of stepping up to the plate and taking over the collection. She has done a very good job continuing the legacy and the Fall 2010 Collection was no exception. Actually, it was exceptional!

    Gianni Versace - Fall 2010
    Photo Credits: Firstview

    Gianni Versace - Fall 2010
    Photo Credits: Firstview
    While I didn’t have the same personal attachment to Ferre, I definitely felt a connection with him on a design level. I really understood and was influenced by his aesthetic. Ferre earned his degree in architecture, but started designing accessories immediately upon graduating. Soon, he began designing raincoats and apparel. He served as Stylistic Director for Dior from 1989-1996. While his signature piece is the white shirt, Ferre used the wide belt constantly (even when it wasn’t a huge trend!) and worked a lot with leather and leather treatments such as perforation. The Ferre label has only been without its father for a few years now, but it certainly seems to be enduring.

    Gianfranco Ferre - Fall 2010
    Photo Credits: Firstview

    Gianfranco Ferre - Fall 2010
    Photo Credits: Firstview