Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Thanks

    Happy Thanksgiving taffetadarlings!  What are you thankful for?  I'm thankful that I don't have to dress like a pilgrim.  First of all, I don't look good in hats and that goes for bonnets, babushkas or any type of kerchief.  Second, the idea of donning an apron makes me want to put pins in my eyes.  OK, maybe that's a bit dramatic, but a domestic goddess I am not.

    traditional Pilgrim woman

    Furthermore, I don't look good in anything that even resembles a dirndl skirt (not many do!) and although black dominates my closet, I wouldn't want to wear it as a uniform every single day.  BOR - ING. 

    quadruplets??

    Actually, I grew up near Lancaster, Pennsylvania so I am very familiar with this type of dress as I got to see the Amish and Mennonite quite often.  I'm not positive, but I think the Mennonite people are a less strict version of the Amish.  They wear the "tea strainers" (I credit my mother with that description) over their bun-like hairdo's and I'm pretty sure they're allowed to use electricity... and they may even drive cars!  Still, their outfits have a lot to be desired.

    Mennonite woman with her "tea strainer"

    When I first came to New York (too many years ago to reveal), I used to tell people that I was Amish and I busted out one day because I was sick of the lifestyle.  Sick of wearing the same damn thing every day and the same damn thing as everyone else.  That's why I became a designer.  I could usually keep people going for a while until I tried to describe my escape -- riding my horse and buggy up the PA turnpike into NYC.  Can you imagine? 


    A couple of years ago, the great Steven Meisel did a shoot for Italian Vogue where they featured Amish fashion and their way of life as the concept for the spread.  Interesting.  Of course, they used a lot more color and pattern not to mention sexy, young models.  Still, I thought even they looked a bit frumpy. 

    cover, Vogue Italia, February 2008